Skip to main content

Unsure about a transaction

If you’re unsure about a transaction on your account, we can help.

You may be worried about fraud, or you may want to dispute a payment you made with a retailer.

We can also help with stopping or refunding recurring payments and answering queries about cash withdrawals at an ATM or post office.

What to do next

Don't recognise the transaction at all?

If you don’t recognise the transaction at all and think you may be a victim of fraud, click on ‘How to report fraud’ below.


Recognise the transaction but something went wrong?

For debit or credit card payments, click on ‘how to raise a dispute'.

For bank transfers, standing orders or Direct Debits, select the drop downs below.

Could a payment you’ve recently set up be incorrect in Internet Banking? You can check the payment details in your transaction history.

Also, if you have a problem with a Standing Order or Faster payment, you can chat to us in the TSB Mobile Banking app or call us on 0345 975 8758 or visit your local branch and we'll help as quickly as we can.

If a Direct Debit payment has been taken from your bank account in error, you may be entitled to a refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee.

To request a refund, you can chat to us in the TSB Mobile banking app, call us on 0345 975 8758 or visit your local branch and we’ll help you as quickly as we can.

Before you get in touch with us, please:

  1. Check the company name. Sometimes you may not recognise the company name, but the Direct Debit could have debited under a different name. 
  2. Check any communications you have received from the company. They may have advised you of these payments being taken or updated you on the correct amount and date.
  3. Find out how many payments have left incorrectly, the dates they left and the amounts.
  4. Contact the company. They may be able to sort out the incorrect payment directly.

If your claim is part of a financial agreement with a company, please bear in mind that the company could potentially take legal action and impact your credit file, or they could claim the payment back from you.

By the way, we use Adobe digital forms for you to tell us about your dispute

We use Adobe Sign for this kind of request. Adobe will pass the information you provide to us in a secure manner and won’t process it in another way. Information on how we use your data can be found in our Data Privacy Notice

  Screen reader users are advised to use an alternative channel

Disputing a card payment with Amazon, Apple, eBay, Just Eat, PayPal, Uber, Netflix, or Google

These retailers have their own dispute resolution service, which could be a faster way to get a refund. To get started, simply follow the instructions for each retailer below:

  • Amazon - sign in to your account and select ‘Customer Service’
  • Apple - go to and select ‘Subscriptions and Billing’. On an Apple device head to ‘Settings’ choose your Apple ID and then select ‘Media & Purchases’
  • eBay - there’s free, automatic coverage for refunds through eBay’s money back guarantee
  • Just Eat - in the app, go to the order details screen and select ‘I’m unhappy with my order’
  • PayPal - you can choose to get a refund from a seller or raise a dispute with PayPal
  • Uber & Uber Eats - log into the app, find the ride or order you want a refund for and follow their refund process. This differs slightly if you’re disputing a ride or food
  • Netflix - visit and select 'Fix a problem’ then choose ‘Billing Issues’
  • Google - sign into your Google account, select ‘Payments & Subscriptions’ and select either the purchase or subscription you have an issue with

I want to dispute a card payment

Use this option if:

  • The transaction is no longer pending  
  • You’ve already contacted the retailer and given them enough time to respond and resolve the issue
  • You want a refund of a payment that was taken after you cancelled a recurring payment or subscription
  • You paid for something you didn’t receive - including goods or services that went to the wrong address or arrived late
  • There was an issue with the goods or services when they arrived – for example, faulty or counterfeit goods, or it was different to what was advertised
  • You haven’t been refunded after cancelling or returning goods, or after the retailer said they refunded you
  • You were incorrectly charged, including being overcharged or charged multiple times for the same order

To dispute a card payment:

  1. Log into the TSB Mobile Banking app
  2. Tap “Chat to us"
  3. Type "Dispute a payment"

Stop a recurring debit or credit card payment

Use this form if:

  • You want to cancel further payments from being debited

If you have been charged after cancelling a recurring payment/subscription, please use the card dispute form under ‘Dispute Card Payment’.

I had a problem with a cash withdrawal

Use this form if:

  • An ATM gave you the wrong amount/no cash
  • A wrong amount was given at a Post Office counter withdrawal

What you'll need to raise this dispute

  • The date, time and location of the ATM/Post office

Frequently asked questions

We will review your dispute claim within 5 working days and text/email you to confirm whether we’ve been able to refund you up front. If we need further information to raise your dispute claim with the retailer we’ll let you know.

It may take up to 30 days for your claim to be resolved by the retailer, and in some circumstances this can take up to 90 days.

When the retailer has reviewed your claim, if we have refunded you up front and the merchant rejects the dispute claim, the refund may subsequently be re-debited from your account. Don’t worry we will give you notice that we’ll need to take the refund back from you before we re-debit your account.

  • Generally disputes need to be raised within 120 days of the transaction.
  • However this can also be 120 days from the last date you expected to receive goods or services. In this case the transaction needs to be within the last 540 days. For example, you paid for concert tickets but the concert is at a date in the future. The dispute can be raised providing it's within 120 days of the date of the concert and the transaction is within the last 540 days.
  • If the goods or services are cancelled, then you have 120 days from the cancellation date.

Unfortunately, we are unable to help with payments made through a ‘buy now pay later’ or ‘buy now and pay in instalments’ providers.

You will need to raise this directly with the company who has provided this service to you, so they can resolve your dispute.

If you have already attempted this and you’re not happy with the resolution, you will need to raise a complaint directly with them.

Could it be a foreign transaction? If the amount on your receipt is different to the amount on your statement this could be due to the changes in the exchange rate.

You can visit a branch where someone will be happy to help.

If you need further support due to a vulnerable situation, information can be found here. Link to Supporting you if you’re in a vulnerable situation