Student contents insurance

This has been designed to cover the things that mean the most to you when you're living away from home studying full-time.

On this page you can see:


What does student contents insurance cover?

With Pick and Protect student contents insurance we’ll cover:

  • your things when you’re living away from home, without having to go through your parents' contents insurance 
  • loss, damage and theft of your possessions while they're in your term-time home from £2,000 to £15,000 
  • emergency access to your home in a medical emergency or in order to prevent damage to your home
  • replacement locks if keys are lost or stolen
  • occupier’s and personal liability up to £2 million
  • tenant’s liability up to £1,000 in case the landlord's fixtures and fittings get damaged
  • possessions lost or damaged when being moved by professional removers
  • DIY removal of your things to or from your college or university in the UK
  • money in your student home up to £250 in cash, cheques or postal orders, gift vouchers, season tickets, travel tickets, travellers cheques 
  • gardening equipment
  • mobility vehicles like wheelchairs

Terms, conditions and policy exclusions apply. Must be a UK resident and aged over 16 to apply.

Start a quote

Must be a UK resident and aged over 16 to apply.

Contents insurance

Contents insurance covers the items in your home for loss, theft and damage. 



It's important that you know what this insurance does and doesn't include. You'll find more details here.

Retrieve an existing quote

Must be UK resident and aged over 16 to apply.

Quote references beginning with QTE

If you’d prefer to call

0345 030 8794

If you'd prefer to talk to a member of our team please call us:
Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm
Saturday 8am - 6pm
Sunday 10am - 4pm
Bank Holidays 10am - 4pm

Calls to our 0345 numbers are charged at local rates dependent on network and usually included in inclusive minute plans. For our joint protection, telephone calls may be recorded and/or monitored.

What are the main exclusions from student contents insurance?

You won’t be able to claim for:

  • cover away from your house, garage, garden or shed for gadgets, personal itemsbikes or other sports equipment. Separate cover is available for each of these
  • damage caused by wear and tear, or any damage that happens gradually
  • accidental damage. You can tailor your policy with our Contents Accidental Damage cover when you get your quote
  • loss or damage when your home is unoccupied longer than agreed
  • motorised vehicles, aircraft, caravans, watercraft of any kind
  • theft in from communal areas of self-contained flats

You can see the full list of exclusions in the Policy Document.

Student contents insurance enhancements

When you take out your student contents insurance you can extend your cover to include:

  • Contents Accidental Damage cover - insures your contents against accidents from your TV or laptop breaking or dropping your mobile phone or tablet at home

How to save on your student contents insurance

Get £5 off your policy with any other cover you take out. T&Cs apply.

You can add the following when you apply:

  • personal items insurance so things like your jewellery, watches, clothes, bags, musical instruments and books are covered anywhere in the world not just within your home
  • gadget, bike and sports equipment insurance so you’re insured against accidental loss, damage or theft of these items anywhere in the world not just in your home

Am I covered by my parent’s home insurance?

Up to £5,000 of your contents can be covered by your parent’s contents insurance with us if you’re studying full time and if they add the Student Contents Extension when they apply or add it onto their policy before you move into student accommodation.

The advantage of this is your possessions are all covered under one policy, rather than separate ones.

If your parents have home insurance with someone else, they’ll need to check with their insurer to see if you’re covered under their policy.