Starter contents insurance

If you don’t want unlimited contents cover or don’t want to insure all your possessions, our starter contents cover is designed to save you from paying for cover you don’t need.

If you find you want more protection over time, you can increase your cover to our more comprehensive contents insurance. You can compare our contents insurance to help you decide which cover is best for you.

On this page you can see:

What does starter contents insurance cover?

With Pick and Protect starter contents insurance we’ll cover:

  • loss, damage and theft of your possessions while they're in your home from £2,000 to £15,000
  • emergency access to your home in a medical emergency or in order to prevent damage to your home
  • replacement locks if keys are lost or stolen
  • occupier’s and personal liability up to £2 million, employer’s liability up to £10 million
  • tenant’s liability up to £10,000 in case the landlord's fixtures and fittings get damaged
  • possessions lost or damaged when moving home
  • money in your home up to £250 in cash, cheques or postal orders, gift vouchers, season tickets, travel tickets, travellers cheques
  • gardening equipment
  • mobility vehicles like wheelchairs

Terms, conditions and policy exclusions apply. Must be a UK resident and aged over 16 to apply.

Get a £15 shopping voucher.

Our contents insurance is flexible. So you can choose from three levels of cover to protect the things in life that matter to you the most. Take out contents insurance and get a £15 shopping voucher to treat yourself to something nice from a choice of around 130 retailers.

Get a quote

Offer ends 22 October 2021. To get the voucher, policy must be in place for 60 days. An email on how to claim your voucher will be sent within 70 days of the policy start. Click here to view full T&Cs and FAQs. Aged 16+ and UK resident.

Start a quote

Must be a UK resident and aged over 16 to apply.


Contents insurance

Contents insurance covers the items in your home for loss, theft and damage. This includes items inside your home, outbuildings and garden. There are three types of contents insurance available depending on your needs; Our standard contents insurance (which includes an unlimited sum insured), starter contents and student contents insurance.



It's important that you know what this insurance does and doesn't include. You'll find more details here.

Retrieve an existing quote

Must be UK resident and aged over 16 to apply.

Quote references beginning with QTE

If you’d prefer to call

0345 030 8793

If you'd prefer to talk to a member of our team please call us:
Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm
Saturday 8am - 6pm
Sunday 10am - 4pm
Bank Holidays 10am - 4pm

Calls to our 0345 numbers are charged at local rates dependent on network and usually included in inclusive minute plans. For our joint protection, telephone calls may be recorded and/or monitored.

What are the main exclusions from starter contents insurance?

You won’t be able to claim for:

  • cover away from your house, garage, garden or shed for gadgets, personal itemsbikes or other sports equipment. Separate cover is available for each of these
  • damage caused by wear and tear, or any damage that happens gradually
  • accidental damage. You can tailor your policy with our Contents Accidental Damage cover when you get your quote
  • loss or damage when your home is unoccupied longer than agreed
  • motorised vehicles, aircraft, caravans, watercraft of any kind
  • theft in from communal areas of self-contained flats

You can see the full list of exclusions in the Policy Document.

Starter contents insurance enhancements

When you take out your starter contents insurance you can extend your cover to include:

  • Contents Accidental Damage cover – insures your contents against accidents from your TV or laptop breaking, dropping your mobile phone at home or spilling wine on your carpets
  • Contents Protected No-Claims Discount – make two claims within a 5 year period without losing your no-claims discount and without affecting your policy price when you renew

back to top

How to save on your starter contents insurance policy

Get £5 off your policy with any other cover you take out. T&Cs apply. We may change or remove this special offer at any time. Although we’ll give reasonable notice if we do.

You can add the following when you apply:

  • personal items insurance so things like your jewellery, watches, clothes, bags, musical instruments and books are covered anywhere in the world not just within your home
  • gadget, bike and sports equipment insurance so you’re insured against accidental loss, damage or theft of these items anywhere in the world not just within your home

back to top

Register for mobile banking

We’re open anytime and anywhere. Take care of your day-to-day banking when you need to.

Set up mobile banking

logging in?

Follow our step-by-step tutorial to get back online from the safety of your home.

View tutorial

Need to visit us?
Visit our FAQs

If you need help with something specific, let us know what it relates to or search a topic.

Go to help page