Home emergency cover

Get help with a range of emergencies at your home such as plumbing disasters, heating breakdowns, storm damage, blocked drains or getting locked out.

On this page you can see:


What does home emergency cover give you?

With Pick and Protect home emergency insurance we’ll cover:

  • loss of essential services to your home such as water, electricity and gas
  • contribution towards a new boiler or electric heaters of £500
  • sudden and unexpected damage to the house roof caused by bad weather or a fallen tree
  • plumbing and drainage problems related to water tanks, leaking radiators or pipes, blocked drains or loss of toilet facilities. For flat owners, cover is for the inside of your flat or apartment only
  • electrical emergency and breakdown such as the breakdown of a fuse box
  • failure or damage to external locks, doors and windows 
  • pest infestations such as rats or mice in the home where you permanently live or wasps nests anywhere on your property
  • unlimited call-outs by approved tradesmen, with no call-out fees
  • up to £1,000 of cover per incident for call outs, parts and labour
  • hotel accommodation up to £1,000

Terms, conditions and policy exclusions apply. Must be a UK resident and aged over 16 to apply.

Start a quote

Must be a UK resident and aged over 16 to apply.

Home emergency and legal services cover

Home emergency can cover your home for unexpected emergencies. Our legal services cover provides you with protection against personal injury, employer and property disputes. 

It's important that you know what this insurance does and doesn't include. You'll find more details here.

Retrieve an existing quote

Must be a UK resident and aged over 16 to apply.

Quote references beginning with QTE

If you’d prefer to call

0345 030 8787

If you'd prefer to talk to a member of our team please call us:
Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm
Saturday 8am - 6pm
Sunday 10am - 4pm
Bank Holidays 10am - 4pm

Calls to our 0345 numbers are charged at local rates dependent on network and usually included in inclusive minute plans. For our joint protection, telephone calls may be recorded and/or monitored.

What are the main exclusions from home emergency cover?

You won’t be able to claim for:

  • loss or damage that happens because of something you’re already aware of when you take out your home emergency cover or that happens before or within 7 days of the start date of this cover on your policy
  • some heating systems such as dual purpose boilers, warm air and solar heating systems, LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) and underfloor heating
  • day-to-day maintenance or replacing parts due to wear and tear
  • routine home services and domestic appliance breakdowns such as dripping/seized taps
  • overflow pipes
  • electric showers and domestic appliances such as washing machines
  • properties which are unoccupied for 60 days or more in a row

For flats or apartments we will not cover:

  • roofing emergencies
  • drainage problems or pest infestations in communal areas

You can see the full list of exclusions in the Policy Document. Must be a UK resident and aged over 16 to apply.

How to save on your home emergency insurance policy

Get £5 off your policy with any other cover you take out. T&Cs apply. 

You can add the following when you apply:

  • buildings insurance so the bricks, mortar, fixtures and fittings of your main home are insured. 
    You could save money if you take out buildings and contents insurance together versus buying them separately. See our home insurance page to get a combined quote
  • contents insurance so the things in your home, garage or shed are covered 

What to do if you have home emergency cover with us and need help

If you have an emergency at home call 0345 030 8840. We give you 24/7 helpline access, 365 days a year.


What to do if you think you have a gas leak

If you think you have a gas leak you MUST immediately call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999. They will need to visit your property and isolate the leak before we can help.