When you approach pay day and your bank balance gets lower, do you ever wonder where all the money went? If this has ever happened to you, you're not alone.
Our research shows that on average Brits 'lose' £159 a month - people are simply left scratching their heads come payday about where their money has gone. Interestingly, women seem to be marginally better than their male counterparts with an unaccounted £137 come pay day, while men 'lose' £188 a month!
Where does it all go?
Unsurprisingly, food is usually the biggest culprit when it comes to 'lost' money, followed by clothing, coffees and work drinks.
We of course all need to eat, drink and wear clothes - and losing a few quid here and there might not seem like a big deal - so why does this matter?
Keep track and make the most of your money
There is the old saying, "take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves" - and this can also apply to your bank account.
Unfortunately, over a third of people aged over 35 and almost half of those aged 18-38 don't know how much interest their bank account pays and most people have never shopped around for a better deal. But in not doing so they are potentially losing out on making the most of their money.
With TSB's 555 offeryou could earn up to £238 iover the year through a combination of receiving interest on saving and receiving cash back on contactless spending. The offer includes ii:
- 5% interest on the Plus account on balances up to £2,000 and unlike other banks TSB won't whip the five per cent interest away after the first year.
- 5% cash back on the first £100 of contactless debit card payments made from a Plus account each month.
- 5% interest on the TSB Monthly Saver account.
So if you're interested in making your money work harder for you, start tracking your spending to see where it goes and look into whether your existing bank account is the best for you.
Find out more about the TSB Plus account.
iTable shows maximum amount customers can earn with 555.
|Plus. Based on a customer earning 5% AER/4.89% gross variable interest pre tax on £2,000 over 12 months.||£97.80|
|Contactless Cash back. Based on a customer spending £100 a month over 12 months on contactless purchases.||£60.00|
|Monthly Saver. Based on a customer saving £250 a month, earning 5% gross interest after 12 months.||£81.02|
- You must be 18 or over and a UK resident to apply
- The Plus Account is restricted to one account in your sole name, and another Plus account in joint names
- You can choose to switch your banking to us when you apply for a Plus account, or any time after you've opened it - we guarantee switching will take just 7 working days.
- Plus Account: 5% AER/4.89% gross variable interest on balances up to £2000. Interest paid monthly. Pay in a minimum of £500 a month, register for Internet Banking, paperless statements and paperless correspondence
- Cashback: Ends Dec 2016. Contactless subject to eligibility. Paid quarterly.
- Saver Account: 5% gross/AER fixed for 12 months, paid end of term. Monthly Standing Order between £25 and £250. Instant access. Cannot replace money withdrawn